The whole world has experienced a journey through history in the world of football, and every single soul on earth will attest to the fact that Lionel Messi is one of the legs, literally, that will never be forgotten. He is arguably one of the best football players that the world has ever seen. This is why many of his fans and lovers call him, the GOAT, which means the Greatest Of All Time.
Lionel Messi is quite a topic, and there are many amazing things about him that a lot of people in the world today do not know. This is why this article has gathered information and put them together to educate the world, and celebrate the living legend.
- He was named by his parents after his birth on the 24th of June, 1987, as Luis Lionel Andres Messi. Born and bred in Argentina, Rosario precisely, which is where Che Guevera, who is another football legend, was also born. Surprisingly, he is of an Italian descent.
- Messi’s father was also a coach. This is probably one of the reasons why he grew to be a great football player. He coached a local football team in Argentina on the side, as he tirelessly worked hard in his steel working profession.
- Messi started playing football from a very tender age, but unlike his mates, he was always sick. It was said to have been a growth hormone deficiency. This condition affected and altered his growth when he was eleven years old. Doctors tested him and said he would only survive on a monitored, monthly treatment, that costs 900 dollars per month. He survived.
- At age 13, Messi signed a contract with Barcelona on a napkin. Yes, you read that correctly. The then manager of Barcelona was so excited to see such a talented young football player. He could not let the chance slide, and he could not afford to lose him to another team. So, they made an agreement immediately, but there was no paper. So, they picked a piece of napkin, and made the contract on it. Barcelona offered to take care of his medical bills, and move his whole family to Spain, so that he can be properly cared for, and his talent, nurtured.
- He played his first official professional match at age 17, and he also scored a goal. He was the youngest player to have ever scored in Barcelona as at that period, he was the third youngest to every play in professional football.
- The next year, when he was 18, was when he started receiving salaries as a player in Barcelona. It was the 2005/2006 league season, and also five years after the contract. He played in almost every game, and scored in more than half of the game he played.
- 2008 was also a great year for Lionel Messi. He played on the Argentine national team at Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, and won a gold medal with them, for winning the cup. This same year, he inherited the number 10 shirt from a world star, the legend of dribbles and goals, Ronaldinho!
Lionel Messi is still very much alive, and he is still breaking records and setting new ones.