The English Premier League is the most watched Football league in the world. It’s a league where footballers from different parts of the world come together in different teams to compete for the trophy in one European league.
The English Premier league is worthy of being called the pinnacle of a footballer’s career. Many local soccer players all over the world dream to play in this league.
This article compiles a list of amazing facts about this hallowed league.
- Since inception, 9,746 football matches have been played in the English Premier league.
- The number of goals ever scored in the league by the forty seven teams is 25,769.
- Manchester United has won the EPL title more ttimes than all other teams combined. They have won it 13 different times.
- Manchester United is so the team with the highest number of goals in the league. They have scored a total of 1,856 goals in the English Premier League.
- Unfortunately none of the managers who have won the league is English. Alex Ferguson of ManChester United and Kenny Dalglish of Blackburn are from Scotland; Arsene Wenger of Arsenal is from France; Jose Mourinho of Chelsea is from Portugal; Roberto Mancini of Manchester City, Carlo Ancelotti of Chelsea, Claudio Ranieri of Leicester City and Antonio Conte of Chelsea are from Italy; Manuel Pellegrini of Man City is from Chile.
- Gareth Bale holds the record of the only player who scored a goal, an own goal, get an assist, and also get booked all in the same game. It was a match played on the 28th of November, 2012, against Liverpool.
- The player who has scored the most penalty kicks in the English Premier league is Alan Shearer with fifty six (56) goals.
- There are only two players who have ever scored a penalty pick with both legs in the premier league are Bobby Zamora and Obafemi Martins.
- Ryan Giggs had played more games than any other football player in the English Premier League. He has appeared 632 times in the league. However, the record could be broken this season by Gareth Barry who has appeared 628 times and is still in the league.
- Ryan Giggs has also made 131 assists, which makes him the player who has made the highest number of assists ever.
- Everton could be called the greatest loser of all time. They have lost in three hundred and thirty six (336) games; more times than any other team in the league.
- Tottenham could be unlucky with goal keepers. They have conceded 1,231 goals in the league, which makes them the team with the highest number of goals against them.
- After playing only 12 matches at the Premier League, Richard Wright of the English team won the English Premier League Winner’s Medal twice.
- The first team to ever play a Premier League game with a fully Non-English team is Chelsea.
- With 1,536 yellow cards received, Chelsea holds the record of the team with the most yellow cards.
- Almost every team in the premier league has scored an hat-trick. The two who are left in this list are Swansea and Watford.
There are more records being made and we expect more to be broken and made this season.