You are not surprised at all at this, are you? Because if you are, we’ll be surprised. After months of grueling speculation and not-so-special leaks, Samsung’s worst kept secret ever is now official. It’s surprising even to think that this is the same company which hid the Galaxy S III inexplicably well.
It’s also Samsung’s thinnest phone, but of course you know that. There’s a slight camera bump but that’s manageable and less so than in the S6/S6 Edge.
Being the highest-end A-series phone, the A8 comes with a 5.7” 1080p display with Super AMOLED at the front. There’s optional dual-SIM capability, reportedly, with support for 4G LTE onboard too. Underneath, you get a mid-range 64-bit, octa-core Snapdragon 615 processor with two quad-core Cortex-A53 CPUs clocked at 1.5Ghz and 1Ghz.
The Samsung Galaxy A8 is the most premium smartphone in the series
At the back is a 16 megapixel camera with LED Flash and 1080p video, along with a 5 mp selfie shooter at the front. Connectivity modes are highlighted by NFC, Wi-Fi and 4G LTE. The battery at the back is of an impressive 3,050 mAh capacity, with standby time of up to 304 hours. Finally, there’s the oh-so-important fingerprint scanner, which is embedded on the home button.
One thing we still don’t know officially is the price, but the A8 certainly won’t cheap. It is nice to see that Samsung is at last bringing better-designed phones down its food-chain, and the A8 is just another step in the (seemingly) right direction.
Samsung Galaxy A8:
- CPU: 1.5 Ghz quad-core + 1 Ghz quad-core Cortex-A53
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 615
- OS: Android 5.1 Lollipop, customized with TouchWiz
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE
- Design: 5.9mm thick, 151 grams weight
- Display: 5.7” with Full HD 1080p resolution
- Super AMOLED with Gorilla Glass
- RAM: 2 GB
- Internal: 16 or 32 GB
- Card slot: yes
- Primary: 16 megapixel with 1080p video, OIS and f/1.9
- Secondary: 5 megapixel, 1080p
- Connectivity: NFC, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS
- Battery: 3,050 mAh
- Available in Pearl White, Midnight Black and Champagne Gold