The Olympic Games is like the god or foreman of all other sporting occasions. This is an event that brings all kinds of sports together; it is like a sports camp. It actually does more than bring sports together; it brings the whole world together. Many countries participate in many different games of their choice, travelling to stay in one country for quite a period of time. The Olympics is an event for everyone. It is impossible for you to be interested in all kinds of sports. Even if you are, there is this positive energy in the air at this period that makes everyone want to join the train.
There are many things about this amazing events that you probably have never read or heard, but you are about to find out. Here are some of them:
- It is one of the oldest sporting occasions ever, as its maiden edition took place in Olympia, Greece, as far back as the 8th century BC. From that edition, the Olympic Games were held at intervals of four years, continuously for twelve consecutive centuries. At its twelfth century (4th century AD), the Emperor Theodosius banned it along with other pagan ceremonies and festivals. After another 1500 years, the event was brought back to life. It was in 1896, and it was the maiden edition of the modern Olympics as we know it today.
- In the early days of the Olympics, only men were allowed to participate, and they competed naked. They never worried about being seen naked, of perfecting themselves from harm. They also cared less about fashion, probably as there were no fashion companies or others to propose sponsorship. However in 1900, women were allowed to compete in the Olympic Games.
- Also, Olympic Games lasted for long in its early days. Although it still does, longer than other games of its calibre, it lasted longer back in the day. Every season lasts as long as six months.
- Did you notice that there are two different seasons of the Olympic Games? Yes, there is the Winter Olympics and the Summer Olympics. There are alternated at the interval of two years. However, they used to take place in the same year for quite a number of years. Between the year 1924 and 1992, there were always to Olympic Games Event in a season.
- One interesting thing about the seasonal Olympics is that athletes don’t win medals in both seasons. This is sometimes because different athletes play in both seasons, but it is not always the case. However, only four of them have ever broken this record, and only one, Christa Ludinger-Rothenburger, has done it in the same year.
- Another amazing fact is that the actor who is popularly known for acting the role of Tarzan, Johnny Weissmuller, competed in the Olympics and won five gold medals for the men’s swimming category in the 1920s. He also acted Tarzan up to twelve times in twelve movies.
There are many more amazing facts about the Olympics that cannot be curated into one article. However, one thing is sure. The Olympic Games is the father of all other sporting occasions.